The two guns known as Castor and Pollux were used during the Siege of Ladysmith (2 November 1899-28 February 1900). On 27 November 1899 the guns were taken to Wagon Hill (also known as Platrand) where they were engaged in a battle with a Boer Long Tom gun. The Castor gun was damaged on 18 December 1899, but was repaired on the battlefield. The Castor and Pollux guns fired 765 of the 800 available rounds of ammunition. Both guns have subsequently been placed in front of the Town Hall of Ladysmith.