Identifiers
Declaration Description

The property with St Mary's Church thereon in Barkly West, described as the remaining extent of Erf 314, Barkly West, measuring as such 42563 square feet (4220 square metres) and held under Crown Grant, dated 2 - October 1876 (Griqualand West Quitrents, Volume 3, Folio 51).St Mary's Church was the first permanent church building erected in the Klipdrift Area after the discovery of diamonds in this vicinity in 1869. The foundation stone of the building was laid in February 1872 by Sir Henry Barkly, after which the church was consecrated on 24 November 1872.

Inventory Reference
Gazette Date
Declaration Type
Gazette Number
3650
Notice Date
Notice Number
1620
Declared by (Organisation/Heritage Authority)
Deeds Number
Griqualand West Quitrents, Volume 3, Folio 51
Gazette Notice Status
Archive Status
National monument
Media
3650-1620_0.pdf (16.3 KB)
Record Administration
sahrisprojectmanager
Last modified
Saturday, October 28, 2023 - 15:26