On this site the Nottingham Party of British Settlers held a service of thanksgiving on their arrival in 1820 and built the first church in 1825. The second church, which replaced it in 1837, served as a defence station in 1846 during the hostilities. The present church was opened in 1867. The school was founded in 1837 and served as a provincial farm school until 1977. The graveyard dates from the Eighteen-twenties