The corner stone of this stone building was laid on 14 June 1890. In 1928, under the direction of Gerhard Moerdyk, the building was substantially enlarged and the striking portico and spire were added. During the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) the building was used by the British as a fort. On 20 September 1914 General J. H. de la Rey was buried from the Klipkerk.