Overview
    Identifiers
    Inventory Number
    2626AA1
    Site Name
    Nerderduitse Gereformeerde Church, 27 Gerrit Maritz Street, Lichtenburg
    Site Category
    Record Administration
    Author
    sahrisprojectmanager
    Last modified
    Thursday, May 2, 2024 - 16:43
    Built Environment Recordings
    Identifiers
    Inventory Reference
    Primary?
    Yes
    Classifications
    Building type
    Associated People
    History of use
      Location
      Location
      Mapping
      -26.149043, 26.163239
      North West
      • Ngaka Modiri Molema
      • Ditsobotla
      Land Parcel Details
      Type of land parcel
      Street Address
      Land Parcel Reference
      Address:
      27 Gerrit Maritz Street
      Lichtenburg
      Grading
      Grading
      Grade II
      GradingComment

      archiveimport Grading by: South African Heritage Resources Agency

      Statement of Significance

      The corner stone of this stone building was laid on 14 June 1890. In 1928, under the direction of Gerhard Moerdyk, the building was substantially enlarged and the striking portico and spire were added. During the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) the building was used by the British as a fort. On 20 September 1914 General J. H. de la Rey was buried from the Klipkerk.

      Declaration
      DeclarationName
      Declaration Type
      Declaration Description

      The Klipkerk, together with 15 metres of land on its northern, western and southern sides and 20 metres of land on its eastern side, being situated on the property known as the remainder of Stand 921 in the Township of Lichtenburg and measuring 1,5267 (one comma five two six seven) hectares.
      Deed of Grant G1994/1894, dated 30 May 1894.

      Gazette Date
      Gazette Number
      7687
      Gazette Notice Status
      Notice Date
      Notice Number
      1577
      Archive Status
      National monument
      9-2-235-5.pdf (299.6 KB)
      Media
      Images uploaded directly to Site
      Images uploaded to linked Site Recordings