Overview
Identifiers
Record Administration
Structures
Built Environment Recordings
Identifiers
Classifications
Use Period | Use | |
---|---|---|
Location
Location
- City of Cape Town
Erf/Farm Portion: n/a
Address:
Unknown Lieskeeck Park Road
Observatory
Cape Town
Gradings
Grading
archiveimport Grading by: South African Heritage Resources Agency
HISTORICAL/ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE_x000D_
Built on land granted in 1661, the Valkenburg Homestead is one of the only original homesteads still standing on the Liesbeeck River. It was named after Cornelius Valck who became the owner in 1720. The north wing, with its curvilinear parapet, was added to the original U-shaped house by Cornelius de Waal, who bought the property in 1746. The western section, with its neo-Classical gable, was rebuilt by Cornelius Mostert c. 1815. The farm was subsequently divided in and in 1881 the house and out-buildings became part of the Valkenberg Hospital. The Manor House became the property of the National Monuments Council in 1985. Shortly thereafer it was restored by Rosenfontein Restaurants.